OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So speculate how long until MOP? June, August, October, December or ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talent System Feedback

Talent System Feedback
    I wonder, when mop rolls out, and every fire mage has the same spec, will you admit failure? Theory crafters will figure out which combination of talents and glyphs provides the best dps given a situation. We call those situations boss fights. Look back at your data, and tell me how many fire mage specs where used on ragnaros.
    Yep, we would admit failure if every Fire mage still takes the same talents. We don't think the theorycrafters will be able to solve the problem as easily as you describe though. Does Greater Invis or Cauterize provide the higher dps? Both can save your life, depending on you and the situation. Maybe Nether Tempest or Living Bomb might have a marginally higher dps than each other for some fights, but still, it's much easier for us to balance two abilities against each other than it is to balance a 33/5/3 build against a 34/3/4 build.

As to your Ragnaros question, the answer as you can imagine is that the talent builds were virtually identical. That's what we we're trying to fix. However, if you look at glyphs, the situation is much more diverse. The new talents are more akin to Major glyphs, in that they aren't just passive dps increases. About 30% of mages had Glyph of Dragon's Breath and about 30% had Glyph of Blink. Which was the higher dps? Apparently there was disagreement, or nobody knew, or it didn't matter.

You didn't remove traps either. Look at warriors. Yep blade storm tanking sounds boss.. until you realize that dodge, parry and block do not function while channeling an ability. Don't worry, I had to look that up on a third party website, because blizzard refuses to document their own games basic mechanics.
    We want Bladestorm to be attractive to tanks. It would be a flaw in the tree if one of the talents was a no-brainer to skip. In 5.0, Bladestorm does not prevent dodge, block or parry, and it even allows shouts, of which Last Stand is included.

I sympathize with the problem that our tooltips can't explain all of the nuance, depth and exceptions for the abilities. At times we have tried to be more complete, but the tooltips ended up reading like legal documents and of course grew very long. It's a problem we'll continue to try and solve though.

The issue is you are asking us to ignore the fact it's you that designed the 4.x system and you also similary tried to "sell us" that system as a net positive back in the pre-4.0 days. It's a matter of trust and prior performance.
    Hey, we're happy to admit our mistakes and try to improve the game for the future. I suspect you'd probably prefer that than if we stubbornly clung to failed experiments. Our sincere hope is that new talent system fixes the problem of player choice and customization once and for all. I think it has a strong chance of doing so. But I've been in this business long enough to know that I might be wrong.

If for an example in a raid I am a healer who "never has to move" or that the "movement I do doesn't really need any fancy augmentation from a talent" then offering me three "movement" talents won't seem interesting. That's why throughput "increasers" seem more interesting to people because at least they can see the utility because for the most part
    I'm not trying to nitpick through all these examples. I just want to communicate that the system would be a lot less compelling if there were obvious choices or non-choices like this. But please keep telling us of any you think fall into that category. We have time to fix them.

We do some Patchwerk-style fights still (Ultraxion was pretty close), but there are plenty of fights with many moving parts as well. Maybe we're arguing semantics here, but I don't think "increasers" are interesting. They may be useful, perhaps even mandatory, but that works against their being interesting. You don't have to think about them much. You don't have to experiment. You don't have to be a clever player to benefit from them. They just kind of sit there, making your numbers bigger.

Deciding "will I use this talent?" is interesting (in my definition anyway, which is the definition commonly used in game design, so maybe I'm just slipping into industry jargon). Deciding how to use the talent is interesting. I love the thought that a mage who has killed the Sha of Fear a dozen times might decide to switch from Rune of Power to Incanter's Ward, just to keep things interesting.

As an example from Mage Tier 4, Cold Snap screams Frost. It does not reset any Fire or Arcane ability, want to take a guess how often any Fire or Arcane mage takes that? Or flip it around, want to take a guess how often any Frost mage doesn't take it?
    Cold Snap doesn't reset Frozen Orb though, which would make it too attractive to Frost and not attractive enough for Fire. It resets spells like Frost Nova, which all mages have and will likely use. It also restores your health, making it useful even if you don't have a spell on cooldown.

Agreeing with this sentiment more and more as I peruse the new warrior tree. None of the talent choices are exciting at all relative to the other two choices in the tiers. It really does feel like I can just pick whatever without any real impact on my performance.
    You *should* be able to pick whatever you want without any impact on your performance. If one talent increased your performance more than the others, we would all just take that talent (unless some of us didn't care about performance, which is always possible).

Bladestorm, Shockwave and Dragon Roar all have different cooldowns. That alone will give them a different feel -- do you want to hit weaker buttons more frequently or more powerful buttons more rarely? But your overall DPS can be the same (unless the fight length makes the length of the cooldowns relevant, but even that is interesting in that you need to consider it). If Dragon Roar did the highest damage in most situations, then the other two choices are boring and won't get used a lot.

This attitude 'use cookie cutters or you're bad' annoys me to no end, in vanilla, TBC I not ONCE used a cookie cutter spec and on my NE priest I was second tank healer in Molten core at 58
    If that's the case, that's awesome. That's what we want. But most players aren't in your situation. They take virtually the same talent choices as everyone else. You would probably be sad too if you felt like that was your only real option. We want every player to feel like they can choose whether they like A instead of B or C.

GC you take so much heat. Props to you man, for weathering a very turbulent storm daily.
    It's cool, man. They just want the game to be fun, which is exactly what we want.
    I'm Rebur, Tadia, or Judianna most games.
    Twitter @Chaos5061.
    Translations are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Ancient Mogu Crypt Scenario Preview

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Encounter Journal Update

Elegon
        Celestial dragon encounter. [PH]

Energy Vortex - When active, the Energy Vortex transforms any player or creature who stands in it, granting a small taste of the Titan's true power.
        • Touch of the Titans - Contact with the Energy Vortex transforms the target into celestial form, increasing all damage done by 50% and healing done by 50%.
        • Overcharged - The Energy Vortex periodically causes the players to take 5% additional damage. This effect stacks.

Phase 1: Protecting the Controller! - Elegon activates the Energy Vortex, attacking with Celestial Breath and calling for Celestial Protectors to help defend The Engine of Nalak'sha. Phase ends at 90% and 50% health.
        • Celestial Breath - Elegon's dragon breath inflicts 50000 Arcane damage to players within a X yard long 60 degree cone.
        • Materialize Protector - Elegon summons a Celestial Protector to attack the players. Only used when above 50% health.
          • Celestial Protector
            • Phasing PH - The Celestial Protector is in a state of flux, held together by the Energy Vortex. The Celestial Protector takes 90% less damage when outside of the Energy Vortex with over 25% health. PH
            • Arcing Energy - The Celestial Protector inflicts 33250 Arcane damage to two random players and applies Closed Circuit to each target.
              • Closed Circuit - After being hit by the Arcing Energy, healing taken is reduced by 50% for 20 sec.
            • Stability Flux - Upon reaching 25% health, the Celestial Protector begins to pulse energy, periodically inflicting ? Arcane damage to the entire raid.
            • Total Annihilation - When near death, the Celestial Protector explodes, inflicting 73125 Arcane damage to the entire raid.
        • Radiating Energies - Elegon becomes dangerously unstable, periodically inflicting 50000 Arcane damage to all players not in the Energy Vortex. Only used when under 50% health.

Phase 2: Restarting the Machine PH - Elegon attempts to reactivate The Engine of Nalak'sha by creating Energy Charges to energize the Empyreal Focuses. Once all Energy Charges are destroyed in a wave, Elegon will continually create more Energy Charges, permanently weakening his physical form. Phase ends once an Energy Charge leaves the Energy Vortex.
        • Draw Power - Elegon attempts to restart the Engine of Nalak'sha by constructing six Energy Charges from his own body, permanently increasing all damage taken by 10%. This effect stacks.
          • Energy Charge
            • High Energy - With each successive cast of Draw Power, the created Energy Charge gains an additional 20% movement speed. This effect stacks.
            • Discharge - Upon reaching zero health, the Energy Charge explodes, inflicting 75000 Arcane damage to the entire raid.

Phase 3: Shut Down the Engine! PH - Elegon has reactivated The Engine of Nalak'sha, disabling the Energy Vortex and activating all Empyreal Focuses. Elegon is shielded from all damage. Phase ends once all Empyreal Focuses have been destroyed.
        • Empyreal Focus
          • Energy Conduit - The Empyreal Focus vents excess energy, dealing 142500 arcane damage to all players touching the energy conduit every 0.5.
          • Overloaded - Upon reaching zero health, the Empyreal Focus deactivates and vents excess energy back to Elegon, increasing damage inflicted by 20% and casting speed by 20%. This effect stacks.
        • Unstable Energy - Elegon periodically inflicts 7500 Arcane damage to the entire raid.
        • Energy Cascade - Elegon fires a ball of Titan plasma at a random player, inflicting 42750 Arcane damage on impact and creating a Cosmic Spark.
          • Cosmic Spark

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Encounter Journal Update

Wing Leader Ner'onok
          Ner'onok fights players using Caustic Pitch and Quick-Dry Resin. Twice during the fight he will lift off and fly to the other end of the bridge where he alternates between channeling Blowing Winds and Gusting Winds until interrupted.
          • Caustic Pitch - Throws a glob of pitch at an random location. Enemies touching the pitch suffer 20000 Nature damage every sec and have their movement speed reduced by 50%.
          • Quick-Dry Resin - Sprays a target with heated resin. As the resin hardens it inflicts 5000 Fire damage every 1 sec. If this process completes the target becomes encased in resin and cannot move or act for 6 sec. Performing actions counteracts this effect and if the target breaks free they become Invigorated, increasing casting and movement speeds by 15% for 30 sec.
          • Blowing Winds - Ner'onok beats his wings, creating wind that slowly pushes enemies away from him.
          • Gusting Winds - Ner'onok beats his wings fiercely, creating a powerful gale that pushes enemies away from him at high speed.

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Reminder: WoW Annual Pass – Last Chance

As adventurers gear up to battle demonic hordes with the impending launch of Diablo III, the World of Warcraft Annual Pass offer will soon close to new sign ups. If you plan on questing in both Sanctuary and Azeroth in the coming year and haven’t signed up yet, the Annual Pass is a great value that should not be missed.
            You have until Monday, April 30 to sign up for the WoW: Annual Pass, which includes a 12 month subscription commitment to World of Warcraft, a free digital version of Diablo III (available when the game launches), the Tyrael’s Charger flying mount for WoW (available immediately), and other epic benefits. If you’ve been waiting for the last possible moment to sign up for the Annual Pass, this is it! After April 30, this offer will no longer be available.
            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Zandalari? Island Area Preview

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Misc Beta Changes - Guild Perks, Scenarios, and more
                The last few patches have added a few small but interesting things to the game.

Guild Perks
                The Doctor Is In (Level 10) - Increases healing received from bandages by 25%. Does not work in battlegrounds and arenas. Replaces Chug-A-Lug.
                For Great Justice (Level 20) - Increases Justice points gained by 20%. Replaces Happy Hour.
                Ride Like the Wind (Level 21) - Increase flight path travel speed by 25%. Replaces Have Group, Will Travel.
                Working Overtime (Level 22) - Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 20%. Replaces Chug-A-Lug.
                Time Off (Level 27) - Increases rest gained by 100%.
                Otherworldly Discounts (Level 30) - Reduce Void Storage and Transmogrification costs by 10%.

New Scenario Objectives
                Rescue the villagers from the 6 nearby houses.
                Defeat Vengeful Hui
                Bring Brewmaster Bo to the Unga Ingoo Brewing Cauldron.
                Bring 100 Jungle Brew to the Brewing Cauldron.
                Defeat Captain Ook.

New Scenarios
                Klaxxi Island
                Brewmaster 04

New Guild Challenges
                Scenario - 5 per week at 10,000 guild XP each. Rewards 125 gold.
                Challenge Mode Dungeon - 3 per week at 10,000 guild XP each. Rewards 250 gold.
                Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Cloud Serpent Questing Area

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Cloud Serpent Questing Area

Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Mounts / Companions
                      85 Junk N/A Oddly Shaped Stone
                      1 Junk N/A Golden Seed Pack
                      1 Junk N/A Basic Seed Pack
                      1 Junk N/A Special Seed Pack
                      1 Junk N/A Secret Stash
                      1 Junk N/A Tree Seed Pack
                      1 Junk N/A Gro-Pack
                      1 Junk N/A Chee Chee's Goodie Bag
                      1 Junk N/A Celebration Gift
                      1 Junk N/A Nicely Packed Lunch
                      1 Pet N/A Fishy
                      20 Pet N/A Terrible Turnip
                      20 Pet N/A Red Cricket
                      40 Mount N/A Reins of the Grand Expedition Yak
                      70 Mount N/A Reins of the Crimson Riding Crane
                      70 Mount N/A Reins of the White Riding Yak
                      70 Mount N/A Reins of the Amber Scorpion
                      Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Dreadful Gladiator
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Emblem of Cruelty
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Emblem of Tenacity
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Cruelty
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Cruelty
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Tenacity
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Choker of Proficiency
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Choker of Accuracy
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Necklace of Proficiency
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Signet of Cruelty
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Signet of Accuracy
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Insignia of Victory
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Melee Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Badge of Victory
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Pendant of Meditation
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Band of Meditation
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Emblem of Meditation
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Meditation
                        464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Medallion of Meditation
                        476 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell Spirit Off Hand Dreadful Gladiator's Reprieve
                        Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

464 Miscellaneous PvP, Physical DPS Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Necklace of Prowess
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Physical DPS Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Ring of Cruelty
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Physical DPS Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Ring of Accuracy
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Physical DPS Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Insignia of Conquest
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Physical DPS Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Badge of Conquest
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Pendant of Alacrity
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Neck Dreadful Gladiator's Pendant of Cruelty
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Band of Cruelty
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Finger Dreadful Gladiator's Band of Accuracy
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Badge of Dominance
                          464 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Trinket Dreadful Gladiator's Insignia of Dominance
                          476 Miscellaneous PvP, Spell DPS Off Hand Dreadful Gladiator's Endgame
                          464 Cloth PvP, Melee Back Dreadful Gladiator's Cloak of Alacrity
                          464 Cloth PvP, Melee Back Dreadful Gladiator's Cloak of Prowess
                          464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Mooncloth Mantle
                          464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Cord of Meditation
                          464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Treads of Meditation
                          464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Cuffs of Meditation
                          464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Satin Gloves
                          Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Mooncloth Gloves
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Back Dreadful Gladiator's Drape of Meditation
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell Spirit Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Mooncloth Robe
                            464 Cloth PvP, Physical DPS Back Dreadful Gladiator's Cape of Cruelty
                            464 Cloth PvP, Physical DPS Back Dreadful Gladiator's Cape of Prowess
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Head Dreadful Gladiator's Silk Cowl
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Head Dreadful Gladiator's Mooncloth Helm
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Head Dreadful Gladiator's Satin Hood
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Head Dreadful Gladiator's Felweave Cowl
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Felweave Amice
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Satin Mantle
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Silk Amice
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Cord of Cruelty
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Cord of Accuracy
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Silk Trousers
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Felweave Trousers
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Satin Leggings
                            464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Mooncloth Leggings
                            Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Treads of Cruelty
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Treads of Alacrity
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Cuffs of Accuracy
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Cuffs of Prowess
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Silk Handguards
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Felweave Handguards
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Back Dreadful Gladiator's Drape of Prowess
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Back Dreadful Gladiator's Drape of Cruelty
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Silk Robe
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Felweave Raiment
                              464 Cloth PvP, Spell DPS Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Satin Robe
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Head Dreadful Gladiator's Leather Helm
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Head Dreadful Gladiator's Dragonhide Helm
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Head Dreadful Gladiator's Ironskin Helm
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Ironskin Spaulders
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Dragonhide Spaulders
                              464 Leather PvP, Melee Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Leather Spaulders
                              464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Kodohide Spaulders
                              464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Shoulders Dreadful Gladiator's Copperskin Spaulders
                              Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Belt of Meditation
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Footguards of Meditation
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Bindings of Meditation
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Kodohide Gloves
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Wyrmhide Gloves
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Copperskin Gloves
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Copperskin Robes
                                464 Leather PvP, Spell Spirit Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Kodohide Robes
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Chest Dreadful Gladiator's Leather Tunic
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Waistband of Cruelty
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Waist Dreadful Gladiator's Waistband of Accuracy
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Leather Legguards
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Dragonhide Legguards
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Legs Dreadful Gladiator's Ironskin Legguards
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Boots of Cruelty
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Feet Dreadful Gladiator's Boots of Alacrity
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Armwraps of Alacrity
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Wrists Dreadful Gladiator's Armwraps of Accuracy
                                464 Leather PvP, Physical DPS Hands Dreadful Gladiator's Leather Gloves
                                Twitter @Chaos5061.

Comment

Working...
                                X