Add a secondary way point arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add a secondary way point arrow

Could there be a way to add a secondary waypoint arrow that would key off of the next step to be done?

Frequently, I'm following the guide step to kill/gather something that will exist in a large area, and I'm working around the particular spot that the way point and arrow are set to. That step complete, I'm then directed to kill/gather the next target(s) in an area that is near buy.

But what is frequently the kicker is that to get to the latter target, I need to continue killing mobs or passing gathers that I just did. If I had known that they were here close to or on the way to the next step, away from the first way point, I would have headed there to start with.

Another way to look at this is: Step A is to go left and kill 12 mobs. Step B is to Go right and kill the micro-boss, or click the scrying orb (or whatever), but to get there, you need to clear a path through some of the same mobs as Step A.

As the guide exists now, A and B are distinct events. The player (me) isn't aware that "B" accomplishes part/all of "A" at the same time. So time is wasted doing all of "A" just to find that claring the path to "B" could have done a lot of the work required for "A".

Here is a specific example: Northrend 74-76, Step 32 was to go around the lower level of Wintergarde Keep (coords 79,49) killing the Vengeful Geists (15 of them) and rescue the trapped villagers (6 of them). Once I completed that step, I read step 33, which was go a building at 78,50 and go upstairs to click a scrying orb. On my way from the place where I was, into the building, up staires, across the upper floor, and into the room with the orb, I killed 7 geists, and freed 3 villagers.

Now, if I had had a helper indication (secondary waypoint arrow) that for step 33 I was to head to and be in this building, I would've done so before I finished step 32. This way once I found and clicked the orb, I would have also completed step 33 or been one mob away from completion.

This is offered as an alternative from constantly putting in the "pre-steps" I've seen elswhere that say "while doing the next steps, don't forget to click this, get that, kill these all at the same time" (I think I saw that most frequently in the Outland guides).

While that works too, it likely would take a lot of time for one of your editors to roll through the quests to review the route you're taking us on and determine what can be chained together in a "combo step".

You already have the code to take the coords, plot the waypoint, and make the arrow point there. What I propose is copy/paste the code, but have Arrow_2 look at the (current_step +1) waypoint and point me to that.

Thoughts? Discussion?

Right now we feel that a 2nd waypoint arrow would be overkill. We show people where to go for each quest and would like them to enjoy every quest while being able to relax and not be hassled with multi tasking. We do provide multi tracking for those of you who like to push ahead just a bit further though. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Then to fit that, I'll ask that you consider reviewing the sequence of the quests to put the "Kill/Gather X of Y" after the "head for this objective and kill/gather/click the single item/mob" that requires you to mow through the "X" mobs.

This accomplishes what I've outlined and fits your desire not to add the 2nd tracker arrow.

Again, it's frustrating to do what your guide says by heading south from the starting point, just to find on completion that if I had chose north headed to the current+1 waypoint, I could have done the current step and the next one or two at the same time.

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
      We do provide multi tracking for those of you who like to push ahead just a bit further though. Thanks for the suggestion!
      Please remind me how this is accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by am88 View Post
        Please remind me how this is accomplished.
        For an example of how you can make sure your not wasting time running past an objective, while killing things or vice/versa:
        Horde Guide Troll and Orc 5-13 - Kill 12 Durotar Harpies
        . Click Stolen Supply Sacks
        *They look like small tan sacks....*

This shows you two quests that need to be done for the area you are in, so you don't run past the *gather items while your killing mobs.

I believe this is what you are referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
          For an example of how you can make sure your not wasting time running past an objective, while killing things or vice/versa:
          Horde Guide Troll and Orc 5-13 - Kill 12 Durotar Harpies
          . Click Stolen Supply Sacks
          *They look like small tan sacks....*

This shows you two quests that need to be done for the area you are in, so you don't run past the *gather items while your killing mobs.

I believe this is what you are referring to.
          Sort of. I do see these frequently and it is a major highlight of why this guide is the best. But these mostly happen when you're operating in a large area and there is no additional steps in that same large area that immediately follow.

What I'm referring to is where you do what you describe in the large area, but the next individual step(s) point you to something specific in the same area that is surrounded by the same harpies and sacks that you no longer need. Creating a bit of a backtrack situation.

In my example (and desire), the two steps could be combined. It could read
          Northrend 74-75, Step 32
          Go to 79, 49
          Kill 15 Vengeful Geists
          Rescue 6 Trapped Villagers
          Trapped Villiagers look like this, and are freed by doing this action
          x / 15 Vengeful Geists Killed <<--- color changes as completed
          x / 6 Trapped Villagers Freed. <<--- color changes as completed

As you do this step, work your way into the building at 78, 50
          Head to the top floor for the [Scrying Orb]. Kill Geists and free the villagers as you go.
          Click the Scrying Orb, accept quest completion <<--- color changes as completed

Northrend 74-75, Step 33
          Go to xx, yy
          Speak to High Lord Questgiver and turn in (quest name)

So all of this is now one single step in stead of muliple distinct steps.

Again, in more than once occasion, the guide was correct to say, kill X of this, and gather Y of that at the same time. But the frustration was that the next step (or 2 steps down) asked me to do something that in order to accomplish it, I had to do the same "kill X, gather Y" step again.

What I'm hoping we can accomplish is ways of combining these as frequently as possible. This is done either by the secondary arrow as orignially requested here, or setting up some play testers with instructions to look for opportunities to improve the writing / instructions as I've described.

Perhaps that's the solution. Write up a laundry list of quality control tasks or things you want to look for that need or could be improved, then get a bunch of us to act as a playtest group. Sorta like beta testers, but actually taking a toon and doing ALL of the guide steps start to finish, looking over all the content for accuracy, wordage, names, coords, how the step is written, elimation of backtracking, and more.

In quick order, we could take some of the Q/C load off of you and help provide a better end product into the market faster. This lets you focus on creating the newer better things that are Zygor.

And we can be had at a better price that some goblins. 2 or 3 months of paid for game time would be a bargain for you and a decent compensation for your "volunteer" testers.

Comment

With "older" guides you are right, there were (and are in Outlands and Northrend) several steps where you are told to kill something for a quest before you are told to move somewhere so you had to kill more than needed.
            In the Cataclysm guides this is much better. Normally if you have a quest to kill a boss and kill x of his minions you are first told to go to the location of the boss and after that kill the minions. With the names of quest relevant mobs shown it is easy to figure out what you also need on your way to the boss and kill some before.

I hope that the new 1-60 guides are working the same way so mostly Outlands and Northrend guides need some attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
              With "older" guides you are right, there were (and are in Outlands and Northrend) several steps where you are told to kill something for a quest before you are told to move somewhere so you had to kill more than needed.
              In the Cataclysm guides this is much better. Normally if you have a quest to kill a boss and kill x of his minions you are first told to go to the location of the boss and after that kill the minions. With the names of quest relevant mobs shown it is easy to figure out what you also need on your way to the boss and kill some before.

I hope that the new 1-60 guides are working the same way so mostly Outlands and Northrend guides need some attention.
              This is something that we have made a bit easier for those multi taskers. Fixing the Outlands/Norhtrend parts of the Guide fall in order after other major updates are taken care of. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

(don't expect this one)

Good to hear you're considering the ideas. Now for a new one.
                An audio clip that will yell "Your going to wrong frakking way, you smeghead!"

I got to the step in Dragoblight where the objective to pick up a quest from the giver in a particular cave, and then go kill Necrolytes and Burning Skeletons.

I took the first path I saw... into the cave. Spent 20 minutes killing mobs as I went and only after the 15th kill and running out of path did I start wondering when am I gonna get to the mobs that give the quest credit.

Looked again at the quest instruction provided by Zygor and saw, "Go outside of the cave to here..."

DOH! 15 minutes it took to work my way back to the correct path OUTside of the cave. There the mobs were and the quest was done in less than 8 minutes.

That "WRONG WAY!!" audio clip coulda saved me some time, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X