Zygor Updater Client & Admin privileges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zygor Updater Client & Admin privileges

Why does the Zygor Updater Client require administrative privileges on Windows 7?

Originally posted by kodewulf View Post
    Why does the Zygor Updater Client require administrative privileges on Windows 7?
    Where is World of Warcraft installed?

Comment

It may force admin privileges to prevent problems when putting an icon on the desktop or when the Zygor updater folder or the WoW addons folder are inside a protected folder (every subfolder in the "Program Files" folder requires admin privileges for putting files there).

With certein configurations admin privlieges may not be needed (I for example have everything related to WoW in a different folder that is not protected by the UAC) but it probably is better to force admin privileges instead of having lots of people asking why the updater does not work on their system.

Comment

I have all my Blizzard games installed at "C:\Games\Blizzard" so there should be no need for the updater to require additional permissions.

Comment

If you installed our client to it's default location it is in the Program Files (x86) folder. It will require the extra permissions in order for the client to update itself in that location.
          Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
          http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Just installed the Zygor Client into "C:\Games\Apps\Zygor Guides Client" and it still asks for admin access. World of Warcraft can be run by executing Wow-64.exe from "C:\Games\Blizzard\World of Warcraft\" without ever prompting for admin access. So it seems that the admin access request has nothing to do with the location that the client is installed.

Also as a side note, the desktop icon doesn't get created and no uninstall is available.

Comment

Working...
            X