OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[BUG] Complex passwords not supported in ZygorUpdater (OS X)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[BUG] Complex passwords not supported in ZygorUpdater (OS X)

- The web site seems to have problems with backslashes in passwords (cannot login).

- The ZygorUpdater on OS X throws various error messages when using slashes, brackets of all sorts, %, ; etc in the account password.

For reference:
    I have used B>NX/P1]%)07:i6&X],wp/jkZkB.9fSl as the password which did not work in ZygorUpdater.

This is a known problem that passwords for the Zygor stuff cannot contain special characters.
    This also applies to the username which should not contain country specific letters like ä, é and so on.
    Also the forum has problems with dots in the thread name. If I remember it correctly you cannot access further pages when there are more than two dots in the thread title. Or was it an uneven dot count? Can't remember right now.

Backslashes are always very problematic, I recommend not to use them on any website because it requires very careful programming for this to work (they need to get masked and unmasked in order to not get filtered or interpreted)...

I don't know if the username / password thing is planned to be reworked, Cabby should know more.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply.

Well, the simplest workaround until the bug is fixed would be a small notice near the password change form that explains what characters are allowed.

Comment

This has been a tricky one. Sometimes it will work to use the special characters and sometimes it doesn't work. This might be caused by something we're overlooking like maybe differences in UTF-8 code on different machines or something odd like that. One thing that does seem to be common is that the vast majority of the people who experience this are running Mac systems. This is something that hasn't been a high priority for us because we do not store any vital information of our customers on our servers so using a slightly less secure password of letters and numbers should be safe as long as the password is unique to our site.
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
        X