Virus in the installer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus in the installer?

So I went to put the installer on my new computer and McAfee comes back that it removed BAT/Autorun.worm.f, any reason why this would show up?

That does sound like something the client created. Explanation:

You opted to have the client run on startup. This created a .bat file in your installation directory, as well as a key in the registry to execute that file when you login to your computer. McAfee was not a fan of this, and triggered it as "malicious." It's technically not wrong, as this is really the only way possible to have a java application run on startup, so it's up to you whether or not you want to allow the client to do this.

Side note though, the client may automatically re-create those files and registry keys whenever you start it, so long as you have that "open on startup" option selected. That said, be sure to uncheck that option in the client Preferences if you do not wish to have the .bat file and registry key created.

Comment

I try to have as little as possible open on startup so I clicked it off on start up. This alert came when I clicked run right after downloading if from the website.

Comment

Well no files are created until after you start the installation process. If it triggered anything before you clicked Install, then I'd mark that up as a false positive. It wouldn't be the first time. There was another discussion about AV software getting triggered in this thread about a month ago.

Comment

Working...
        X