Carbonite arrow issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbonite arrow issue

With the new method of using Carbonite's built in routing for waypoints it isn't effective. First it spams the chat window with a bunch of routing messages when it's only one waypoint being set. Then due to the routing using a much larger target reached setting for routing you end up having it tell you that you've reached your target about 60 yards away and the arrow disappears.

I would recommend going back to the old system of using the Carbonite arrow just like a TomTom arrow and only use it's built in routing system for the node farming paths because how it is now is just annoying.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Originally posted by cabby View Post
    With the new method of using Carbonite's built in routing for waypoints it isn't effective. First it spams the chat window with a bunch of routing messages when it's only one waypoint being set. Then due to the routing using a much larger target reached setting for routing you end up having it tell you that you've reached your target about 60 yards away and the arrow disappears.

I would recommend going back to the old system of using the Carbonite arrow just like a TomTom arrow and only use it's built in routing system for the node farming paths because how it is now is just annoying.
    Well that's technically possible, but I think some may prefer the Carbonite's default, look and feel consistency etc. Additionally, our ants are not quite as cost-effective in terms of CPU yet as Carbonite's are. I can tune its disappearance behaviour and make an option to alternate between the TomTom-like operation for those who would prefer it, would it do?

Comment

This is almost exactly what I said HERE heh

Comment

I knew someone had posted up about it somewhere daeymien but couldn't remember where and after I was in game and saw it again I figured I'd start a new post for making sure it got added to the master list of bugs.

zgdev2, the main problem with using Carbonite's routing feature for normal quest steps (i.e. go here and talk to this NPC) is the constant routing spam that gets put into the chat window because it's only being given 1 waypoint for routing (see daeymien's link). It would be easy for someone to set the Carbonite routing radius down to 10 or 15 yards from the 60 yards for use with questing, but then if they forget to set it back up to 60 when farming nodes it won't be as efficient and would essentially be the same as if they were using the built in arrow with the ants.

What I meant with my suggestion would be if you would be able to make the Carbonite arrow function only use the routing feature if there are multiple waypoints like in the farming section (i.e. current method of setting waypoints in Carbonite), but send out normal 'TomTom style' arrow setting for single waypoint steps (i.e. old method of setting waypoints in Carbonite). This keeps it all in Carbonite and it's proper look and feel but would prevent the chat spam and constant re-adjustment of the routing radius just to follow the quest lines.

Comment

I knew someone had posted up about it somewhere daeymien but couldn't remember where and after I was in game and saw it again I figured I'd start a new post for making sure it got added to the master list of bugs.

zgdev2, the main problem with using Carbonite's routing feature for normal quest steps (i.e. go here and talk to this NPC) is the constant routing spam that gets put into the chat window because it's only being given 1 waypoint for routing (see daeymien's link). It would be easy for someone to set the Carbonite routing radius down to 10 or 15 yards from the 60 yards for use with questing, but then if they forget to set it back up to 60 when farming nodes it won't be as efficient and would essentially be the same as if they were using the built in arrow with the ants.

What I meant with my suggestion would be if you would be able to make the Carbonite arrow function only use the routing feature if there are multiple waypoints like in the farming section (i.e. current method of setting waypoints in Carbonite), but send out normal 'TomTom style' arrow setting for single waypoint steps (i.e. old method of setting waypoints in Carbonite). This keeps it all in Carbonite and it's proper look and feel but would prevent the chat spam and constant re-adjustment of the routing radius just to follow the quest lines.
          My logic behind route optimizer for questing steps is that it might be useful when the quest has two or more farming nodes but not a waypath with ants yet. What I currently(r3072) did:
          • When a step has a single waypoint no route optimization takes place. The waypoint moreover does not clear upon stepping at the destination.
          • When a step has either a waypath or multiple points of interest, the route optimiziator is started [it spams the chat] and the clearing distance is set to 60 yard.

Can we count this as a solution or am I missing something?

Comment

Sounds about right. Guess at this point we'll have to wait for the update to come out so we can see what it's doing to know for sure if it's a good solution.

Comment

There's a small issue with they way multiple waypoints work now with the hard 60yd clear distance and the routing being used with the leveling guides. There are a number of points where the the waypoints end up being less than 60yd apart from each other, which leads to the arrow (and route) looping indefinitely during the step. See video for an example from Un'Goro leveling guide. YT decided to garble the very beginning, but you should get the idea from the remainder.

Comment

This was with the latest update 3104?

Comment

Yep, that's with 3104.

Originally posted by zgdev2 View Post
                  • When a step has either a waypath or multiple points of interest, the route optimiziator is started [it spams the chat] and the clearing distance is set to 60 yard.
                  Unfortunately, because of that no matter what you set the gather radius to in the routing, it's hardset to 60yd for the steps that use it. So, Setting gather radius down to 7yd as mostly helped previously doesn't change anything.

Comment

Ok, I changed it's status back to being worked on in the bug list. Will let the guys know when they get into the office in the morning.

Edit: Unless zgdev2 sees this and starts working on it now since he appears to be online.

Comment

Had a quick virtual-thumb through a few of the guides that I know have multi-waypoints fairly close to each other. The closest I found were ~18yd apart. So setting the hard clear to 15 (or 10 if you like round numbers) for multi-waypoint steps would avoid the behaviour.

IIRC, the distance for a gather node to be visable on the map is ~70yd. Setting it the clear to 10 or 15 would make for a bit more of overflight to a spot where a potential node isn't for the farming routes, but would serve both purposes without having to separate between the distance used for farming routes and with the leveling guides.

Comment

Reporting back. I think we cannot rely on low clear distance because there's no telling of what the users might want to achieve in their own guides, nor there is one of what we might happen to need in the future. I currently did the following: when the points are too packed together, the clear distance is forced to be half the distance between the points minus 1 yard. This way, there should be no point in which we get into the infinite loop. This should appear on the next update.

Comment

The ((half distance)-1) clear should work really well. When I log back in later I'll run through a few of the places that I know were issues and report back on success/fail ratio.

I'd suggested the definitive clear previously since I didn't know if I was possible to grab the distance between two or more points. This way is much more efficient.

Comment

Ok, ran through the guides I tested with previously and all came through with flying colours on the clear distance.

+1 Internets again to you.

Comment

Originally posted by daeymien View Post
                              Ok, ran through the guides I tested with previously and all came through with flying colours on the clear distance.

+1 Internets again to you.
                              Heh, thanks. I'm closing the issue then, am I doing it right?

Comment

Working...
                              X