Hey Zygor's guide Users Please help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Zygor's guide Users Please help :)

I got a problem with my alliance zygor's guide.
    I can see the Dot ( the orange One ) on either my mini map or on the normal map, so i got a serius problem finding the NPC and the places i g2g to for lvling.

Noticed everytime i log, it show in the chat: " Failed to connect to Cartographer 2"

Can it be this that are the problem?
    If yes can someone please tell me how to fix this problem?

Make sure you have Cartographer installed. Also, make sure the Load Out of Date AddOns box is checked at the top of your addon list.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Current Alliance Guide Download has no Cartographer Files

Originally posted by Zygor View Post
      Make sure you have Cartographer installed. Also, make sure the Load Out of Date AddOns box is checked at the top of your addon list.
      I just bought and downloaded the Alliance 1-80 Guide today, March 15, 2010. I extracted it to the Addons folder properly, and I followed all instructions.

However, according to your Technical Support page Instructions, it was supposed to download all the Cartographer files, too. At least I'm presuming that, because nowhere did your Installation Instructions specify that we need to get those files from some other source!

Very vague instructions, especially since the graphic shows the Cartographer files after unzipping the download!

Why don't I have any Cartographer files now in my (correct) Addons folder?

It makes me wonder what else is missing.

Comment

No longer requires Cartographer

Due to problems with Cartographer when WoW patch 3.2 came out, the guide no longer uses Cartographer for tracking NPCs and placing the arrow. There are now options to use a built-for-Zygor tool or else Tomtom (if you get it separately). But not Cartographer. Probably, you got linked to an old copy of the Tech Support page that still mentions cartographer. (Or maybe they still need to fix that page)

Myself, I prefer using the built-in Zygor map addon. I think it gets enabled by default now. If not, check out the map options by typing <esc> to get the WoW game menu, click on "Interface", then pick the "Add-Ons" tab, and open the "Zygor Viewer" item in the list. Don't remember the exact sub-item to go to, but you should be able to guess it from there.

Comment

Yes, the instructions are still old and need to be updated. Cartographer is no long included with the guides since Cartographer has been abandoned by it's author and is now a dead addon. You still have the option to use Cartographer if you want to get it elsewhere and can get it to run on your system, but right now the recommended methods for a waypoint arrow are to use either the built in one or TomTom. If you're a fan of Carbonite there is a sticky in the support forums for a way to get the Carbonite arrow to work with the guides also.
          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Thank you, "TheWiggen" and "Cabby" for replying.

I must admit that I'm very unhappy about the wrong information still present on the Member's page/Technical Support/Installation Instructions (STEP 9). It has caused me hours of frustration and grief, unnecessarily! When most products are updated, so are their respective web sites, forum "sticky's", etc. to cut down confusion for new and old users.

Thanks again, for replying. This entire thread of my posts, your replies to them, and the several e-mails I sent to the Zygor group should have never been necessary.

By the way, cabby, I have been an avid fan and user of the Carboniteaddon for a very long time. I can't even imagine playing WoW without it. In my opinion, it's the best addon ever made for WoW, and I didn't have to pay $50 bucks for it!

I still haven't been able to try Zygor's, yet.

Comment

Yeah, not trying to make excuses for anything, but I think a lot of the web site pages have been neglected as the team have been focusing on working out all the different bugs in the guide viewer and preparing for Cataclysm. Hopefully whichever one of them that maintains the website will take notice to this and try to get that stuff fixed.

Now you say you haven't been able to try the guides yet. Why not? What's giving problems? Let me know and I'll do my best to help you out with getting it up and running.
              My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

"There is a wizard to manage here"

Or in this case a website. Actually this seems to be a situation of just not uploading the updated files. We have been working on a new help desk section that will serve as a full manual for the guide and all it's functions. I've gone ahead and uploaded the installation portion of the help desk. This section is by no means a finished but it should provide up to date installation instructions.

http://www.zygorguides.com/help/
                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Comment

Originally posted by ZG Support View Post
                  "There is a wizard to manage here"

Or in this case a website. Actually this seems to be a situation of just not uploading the updated files. We have been working on a new help desk section that will serve as a full manual for the guide and all it's functions. I've gone ahead and uploaded the installation portion of the help desk. This section is by no means a finished but it should provide up to date installation instructions.

http://www.zygorguides.com/help/
                  I took a look at your new section, which you mentioned.

There's a contradiction in it.

You wrote:

".... The optional components include the various language packs, the Zygor Talent Advisor, and the waypoint addon Cartographer (adds the arrow feature). Uncheck any of these components if you do not want to install them.

Then, in another paragraph, you wrote:

"... At the character selection screen, click the AddOns button at the bottom left corner of the screen. In this list, make sure Zygor Guides Viewer and Zygor Talent Advisor are checked and disable all of the Cartographer addons EXCEPT Cartographer, Cartographer Waypoint, and Cartographer Notes. At the top right of this box check "Load out of date AddOns" and click Okay."

The Cartographer stuff can't be both "optional" and required.

I was told in a previous post that Zygor Guide re-vamped the Waypointing system, and includes within itself the features that Cartographer used to supply. The Cartographer addon is no longer a viable addon, since its author gave up on it.

So, why are you mentioning its use in your Help article? Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
                    I took a look at your new section, which you mentioned.

There's a contradiction in it.

You wrote:

".... The optional components include the various language packs, the Zygor Talent Advisor, and the waypoint addon Cartographer (adds the arrow feature). Uncheck any of these components if you do not want to install them.

Then, in another paragraph, you wrote:

"... At the character selection screen, click the AddOns button at the bottom left corner of the screen. In this list, make sure Zygor Guides Viewer and Zygor Talent Advisor are checked and disable all of the Cartographer addons EXCEPT Cartographer, Cartographer Waypoint, and Cartographer Notes. At the top right of this box check "Load out of date AddOns" and click Okay."

The Cartographer stuff can't be both "optional" and required.

I was told in a previous post that Zygor Guide re-vamped the Waypointing system, and includes within itself the features that Cartographer used to supply. The Cartographer addon is no longer a viable addon, since its author gave up on it.

Actually, it can, at least at the time of writing.

The Cartographer stuff WAS required, but not all of it. If you need Cartographer (or you did) then it falls under the category of needing it.
                    If you don't need all of it, then portions of it are optional, falling under the category of optional.

Im sure there are more semantics to hammer out, but Ill refrain from splitting hairs.

You were informed that the page needed to be updated, and still does need to be. Cartographer is a dead addon now. It is not being used. There are many posts in here about this subject, and I for one would rather see the development team focus on making the product we bought even better.

Im leaving the thread open so that perhaps an answer to Cabby's question and further individual help can be given.
                    "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
                      Those lines were just remnants from when we still used Cartographer. Thought I had erased them all but apparently not. Anyway, this has been corrected and a lot more will be added to this section over time.
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                        Yeah, not trying to make excuses for anything, but I think a lot of the web site pages have been neglected as the team have been focusing on working out all the different bugs in the guide viewer and preparing for Cataclysm. Hopefully whichever one of them that maintains the website will take notice to this and try to get that stuff fixed.

Now you say you haven't been able to try the guides yet. Why not? What's giving problems? Let me know and I'll do my best to help you out with getting it up and running.
                        Thanks, Cabby.

Well, I have several issues with the "Leveling Guide." Actually, each one should be a New Topic. But, since you asked, I'll mention just a few of the weird issues I encountered yesterday.

Note: I'm putting the words "Leveling Guide" in quotes, because so far, it doesn't appear to be one (to me). It is missing so many things, that it actually is slowing down my leveling!

After starting a new Dranei Hunter character, I struggled to level it up and learn about using the "Leveling Guide" simultaneously.

Somewhere around my char's level 9, 10, 11, 12, bizzarre things started happening.

For instance, if my char increased a level from 11-to-12 prematurely, due to the fact that I had to kill monsters along the way, the "Leveling Guide" would begin scrolling quickly up to the quest list for level 12. It bypassed the completion of all the level 11 quests (which I still needed to complete).

I scrolled back through the list and found that the "Leveling Guide" did not even allow me to finish the quest to get training for a "Tame Pet" skill. I still had to complete "part 3" of a 3-step quest, but the "Leveling Guide" no longer showed it as necessary.

That's absurd, because a "Beastmaster Hunter" without a pet is useless!

Neither would the "Leveling Guide" allow me to complete quests that were in the same areas of the map, automatically. It had me spending hours running all over the continent, back-and-forth. I had to "choose" to do other quests local to where I was standing.

Cabby, maybe I just don't know how to use it effectively, yet? But, I find its behavior "strange," to say the least.

Here's a major irritation:

The Map shows numbered bullets, supposedly indicating the order of quests and their location on the map.

The "Leveling Guide" does not mention those numbers for convenience, nor does the Zygor list of quests (with its extremely small typeface that is non-configurable!) mention the name of the quests!!! That causes great problems when trying to figure out which quest I'm working on.

I've spent too much time trying to find "someone sitting under a blue tent" (as the "guide" instructs) to talk to, when in actuality, that person was far away in a different city! The "Leveling Guide" seldom seems to know which quest I'm on or where I am at the moment. It doesn't number the quests nor name the quests in its list so that I can know which quest the instructions refer to! Very frustrated.

Sorry if I rambled. I'm tired. I'm irritated with a "Leveling Guide" that bypasses PRIMARY QUESTS, just because my char happens to gain a level!

Comment

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your frustration! Perhaps you haven't read the new patch notes about Blizzard's new questing system? The numbered bullets are not from the guides, they are from the World of Warcraft client setting them up automatically. If you click "Show Quest Objectives" in the bottom right of your map (M) it will disable this feature so you only see the bullet points from the leveling guides.

The automatic skipping is from a new feature just recently introducted: Smart-Injection System(SIS). What this does, is finds quests that you no longer need to do because of your level change. It will find the best available quest path for you to follow since you have progressed by x amount of levels. However, since it is a new feature, it comes with bugs. The team is working on optimizing the SIS feature to maximize it's potential.

If you are interested in disabling the feature, you can follow these simple steps:

1. Open your Main Menu (ESC).
                          2. Click the (+) next to the text labeled "Zygor Guides Viewer".
                          3. Uncheck "Skip Travel Steps" and "Skip Obsolete Steps".
                          4. Slide the bar labeled "Allow levels ahead" to 80.
                          5. Click Okay.

This should disable the feature so you can follow the exact quest path offered by Zygor's Guides. If you request further assistance, you may create a new topic or reply here and our team would be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
                          Silverhawk11
                          It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

Silverhawk11, THANK YOU! That sounds promising!

I'm replying now before getting into the game, because I am happy about what you said. I'll try again with questing.

Is it possible to ADD the actual quest names (and/or those Blizzard-numbered bullets, or Zygor's own bullets) to the list of quests that Zygor has us follow? If so, I think it would be a great "plus" to the Guide.

Comment

Hello again,

I'm glad I was able to assist! Unfortunately, it isn't possible to do that. However, I do think that it is a pretty interesting suggestion. The reason why I see it not being a feature, however, is due to the quest path laid out to you. The company has calculated the amount of experience required and the best quest path to obtain level 80. I'm not sure how they would be able to take new quest names and put them into the guide accordingly, and then give a waypoint for each of the quests the individual has added.

Really cool suggestion, but I'm not quite sure in all honesty of how it'd be done. On any note, please let us know if your guides are working for you. I apologize for the inconvience you've had so far, and hopefully when everything is in working order for you, you'll understand why Zygor's Leveling Guides are the number one rated leveling guide :-).

Silverhawk11
                              It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                              X