This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zarpus View Post
    Sorry secretone but "Lifetime", in this case, is however long I choose to play WOW and use the guides that I have purchased. So, your explanation is a load of crap.
    Nope, it's not because you have just proved by that statement that YOU are determining the length of "Lifetime" not the product or Zygor, so my explanation still holds water.

Please do not get me wrong I am not advocating that what Zygor are doing is right or wrong was just explaining what "Lifetime" means. Check out your "Lifetime" Guarantees or Warranties and see how many are really for your "Lifetime".

Comment

I honestly can't see what everybody is moaning about - you get *everything* for a monthly fee (which will be less than a single night out down the pub) and all updates and upgrades. If you've already bought a guide, you'll continue to get upDATES without having to pay a fee.

It's a smart business move by Zygor and ensures a steady income stream so that he and his team can continue to bring you top-quality guides.

Comment

It seems some of you didn't pay attention or misunderstood what Zygor Support 2 had said. Those with current guides will continue to have their guides updated. When an expansion comes out you'll still have your guides updated, but you won't have any new content unless you subscribe. Too many people are saying that their lifetime updates end when the next expansion hits but that's not true. You'll still have your updates for what you currently own, just no new content.
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Whats with all the rage O_o.

No one even knows the price yet. Hell that video if its priced reasonably $10 or under per month will be awesome. I just rolled an alliance toon and kinda cbf to spend more cash on getting the alliance guide when i already own the full horde one. A small monthly fee would be much better.

The option to buy it out right should still exist for the basic leveling guides even come the new exp imo.

Comment

Sorry the subscription idea will not work for me at all.
            I use the guide for levelling and that is pretty much it. I will not pay a monthly subscription to a guide that once my toons are levelled is all but useless.

Unless your an Achievement Junkie, I actually think this subscription idea is a bit of a rort. Like I said, all I use the guide for is levelling, and I aint going to pay a monthly fee for zip in return.

The 'new' guides to me seem nothing more than gimmicky, A Mounts guide????

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support 2 View Post
              If you sign up you will actually get 6 new guides instantly, not just 1, for a fraction of the price of a single guide right now, not to mention never having to pay for expansion upgrades or any future products we create.
              Well, that's one way of looking at it. Given what you've had to say in this and other posts in this thread, no matter how you slice it, essentially old customers would be paying twice for their currently owned guides. As you've probably already noticed in this thread, that's not going over very well with your current customers, especially those who've already paid Zygor $60-90. One hopes Zygor Guides will be offering a substantial subscription fee discount to current customers. Zygor Guides might want to do some quick research on the quite substantial hit to their subscriber base hit that Netflix has recently suffered, and what caused it.

What's carefully not mentioned, in the announcement and in your posts, is what the cost, over time, is going to be for users, which will obviously be answered in upcoming announcements. The problem is that today's announcement is pretty much a puff piece that's lacking information that matters the most. It's almost like the announcement was designed to irritate current customers.

Unless the cost per month for this switch to a subscription service is considerably under the $5.00 price point some here have mentioned (probably lifted from other WoW subscription based sites) then the net cost for new guides, over Zygor's projected remaining life span for WoW, is going to be going through the roof, especially for current customers who have already bought your available product list. That's good for you, but not for us.

Having said all that, I'll still wait and see what the amount of the subscription fee, especially for current customers, will be before making a decision about subscribing.

Comment

I was just browsing the site and clicked AFFILIATES at the bottom of the screen and read that text, if the person gets $7.50(50% commision) does that mean its gonna be $15.00?
                ...or did Zygor do subscriptions before?

Comment

If the guides go to a pure subscription base from here own then I have purchased my last guide here. If I can add guides for a one time fee per guide or expansion upgrade as my choice then I will purchase additional content when I want/need it. All said I don't play the game much anymore and don't really need the guides. I will be moving to SWTOR for a while and if it turns out to be as engaging and fun as wow has been for all it's years I will not be playing wow for a while if ever again.

For a product that focuses on only one game I do not see a need to spend any more money on it in the form of a subscription. Maybe if zygor added other games to there services I might find a reason to spend more money on it. As I have gotten as much enjoyment out of the game as I think I will ever see I will not need to spend any more money on guides. I still have my old guides that I paid for with lifetime updates so I can still level my characters from 1-85 and do all the daily's without paying for anything else. I do not see any need to spend any more money on a company that only supports one old game that blizzard is trying to ruin anyway.

Comment

Monthly fee?... I skipping here, sorry.

Comment

I'll wait to see what the pricing is like. In theory I don't mind the idea, if it's a reasonable monthly fee.

My main concern is that I've just returned to the game after a year away and paid $30 to upgrade the levelling guides 5 days ago...that's life I guess, but it does feel like i'll be paying twice for something i've just bought.

Comment

If the price is right I have no issue with the subscription model. It makes sense tbh

Clearly the "idea" of a monthly subscription isn't the issue to most people here, its how it affects previous owners of the guide (like myself).

For a guide that gets absolutely glowing reviews from users, this much unrest should be taken into account. Offering free updates for previous owners is excellent, but I agree with some others that there should be a few options when the guides come out:

1) Allow current customers to keep all current guides including future updates (done) AND allow ONLY these select customers to pay an upgrade fee for ONLY that specific guide if an expansion comes out. In other words, keep the current business model open to existing customers, for their purchased guides only. A good option in the interest of keeping morale/reviews high and not pissing off the people that made you.

AND

2) Offer current customers special pricing on the monthly subscription plan so that if they do want the new content they can access it without feeling like they are paying twice for something they already own.

AND

3) Offer a flat "Buy All Guides" option like you do now, priced effectively so that only the few people that play nonstop for months get any value from it. (these people WILL pay upgrade fees, and happily)

--------------------------------------

Any way you look at it, the subscription model is a very good one and likely to be a homerun for Zygor (if priced effectively). I myself am quite fond of it, because I play WoW for a few months, get bored and quit, and come back later. Being able to freeze a subscription is excellent because if I bought all these guides (around $60 atm I think?) and play for 3 months, that is $20 a month.

Clearly not everyone feels the same as I do, some some of the options I listed earlier should be considered.

------------------------------------

One other question: what will stop someone from signing up and paying $5, getting all the content loaded into their AddOns, and then canceling the subscription until they decide they want something new? An obvious risk that I'm sure has an answer...

Comment

Rip Off

I draw your attention to the earlier thread from August 22nd 2011.

http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...New-Features.-)

This is when the subscription issue was first raised. And this was Zygors response to the thread.

“This thread seems to have boiled down to the same few people repeatedly voicing their complaints,
                          So we're shutting this thread down until more solid information is released about this issue”
                          CLOSED.
                          Closing threads because you do not want to hear what your customers think is a joke.
                          No doubt, this thread will go the same way.

Well guess what Zygor if you think people are just going to suck it up and pay you are so wrong.
                          I do not care how low you think the charge will be. You can stick your subscription fee’s where the sun don’t shine buddy!

I leave you with the fine words of your president.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
                          16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Comment

If the moderators think this post might be inappropriate, sensor the parts that you find inappropriate, or delete it. I know it might be borderline, but, ah well.

I've thrown a lot of money at Zygor, and I haven't looked back. When I contacted their sales office because I accidentally bought the wrong guide, it was fixed immediately, no questions asked. Due to that one experience, my whole view of Zygor was tremendously improved from good to excellent. Now, I see where most of you guys are coming from. You feel disgruntled by having to go from having guides and updates worth x$, and to get upgrades for the guides when 5.0 hit live (Next expansion) you will be forced to subscribe.

Ok.... So you are whining now about something that will come to pass in 4-6 months time. If you've taken the time to actually read what the moderators have replied you will understand that you will NOT be forced to go into a subscription model until the next expansion goes live. If you want the new guides you will also be required to sign up for a subscription.

So, if you are feeling cheap and want the guides that are being released without having to pay a monthly upkeep? Sign up for the subscription, download the guides, cancel your subscription and only renew your subscription when you need an update for the guides.
                            The only guide that are receiving critical updates every month are the events guide which is purchasable now for a small lump of $. The rest will stay static for pretty much the entire year with the exceptions of some waypoint and bugfixes.
                            Of course there might be some way to prevent this from Zygor's side, but I doubt it can't be worked around with rudimentary notepad skills.

I, for one, will wait and see what the cost will be. Although somewhat disappointed that I can't purchase the guides and are forced into yet another subscription I understand why they are doing it from a money vs value standpoint where new customers are concerned.

Comment

Here's a recap of the information released so far:
                              • Zygor Guides is releasing 6 new guides (Professions, Achievements, Vanity Pets & Mounts, Titles, Reputation, and Macros) on October 4th. In addition to Leveling, Loremaster, Dailies and Events, this will bring the total guide count to 10 for Alliance and Horde.
                              • Zygor Guides is switching to a new subscription payment model allowing customers to access all 10 of these guides for one low monthly fee (to be revealed this week). In addition to that, subscription members never have to pay extra fees for patches, expansion upgrades, or future new products including possible guides for other games.
                              • Customers who have already purchased guides from Zygor DO NOT HAVE TO START PAYING A MONTHLY FEE. All previously purchased guides will continue to be updated for free per our "lifetime updates" policy.
                              • Expansion content has always been sold separately and is not included in "lifetime updates". Customers interested in Expansion content can easily upgrade all their products by signing up for a Zygor subscription membership.
                              Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Seeing as I have all bar one guide so far pre-subscription will I still be expected to pay the same amount as somebody that joins on subscription? For instance: Let says I have all the available guides and decide that this subscription thing was worth the money. Would I still be expected to pay the same original amount as someone that had none of the guides?
                                Toons

Level 85 Night Elf Druid
                                Level 85 Gnome DK
                                Level 64 Human Warrior

Comment

Working...
                                X